If you own a rental property or a home that happens to be vacant, a traditional homeowners insurance policy will not work. You need what’s called a “Specialty Dwelling” insurance policy.

What is Speciallty Dwelling Insurance:

Specialty Dwelling is different because traditional homeowners insurance excludes coverage for properties that are not owner-occupied. In other words, if you don’t live in the house, it’s only covered by a specialty dwelling policy. There are multiple scenarios where specialty dwelling insurance is necessary:

Rental Properties

Vacant Homes

Seasonal & Vacation Homes

Older Homes

Homes Under Construction 

If you would like to learn more about these specific scenarios, click here.

Looking to bundle your rental or vacant property with your homeowner policy?

How to Get Dwelling Insurance:

Thams Agency represents several carriers who can insure your rental property or specialty use property.


If you live in Denison, Avoca, or any state surrounding Iowa and have a property that fits these parameters, give us a call! We can quote your property to see who has the best product for you. You can also fill out the form below and one of our team members will reach out.

Let Us Know How We Can Help

Call Email Claims Payments
Translate »